Medicaid Adult Dental Benefits 2023
Maryland Medical Assistance Program Dental Coverage for Adults
Overview of Medicaid Adult Dental Coverage:
Starting January 1, 2023, adults enrolled in the Maryland Medical Assistance Program (Medicaid) will have coverage for comprehensive dental services through the Maryland Healthy Smiles Dental Program. If you see a dentist who is a member of the Maryland Healthy Smiles dental network, you don't have to pay for dental services that are covered by the program. Learn more about Maryland Healthy Smiles here.
Who is Covered:
Available to all adults 21 years and older who receive full Medicaid benefits.
Maryland Medicaid adult dental coverage, under the Maryland Healthy Smiles Dental Program, include but are not limited to:
- Check-ups, exams, and x-rays
- Some emergency (specific need) exams
- Teeth cleaning and fluoride treatments
- Fillings, root canals, and pulling teeth
- Preventive care and periodontal therapy
- Dentures adjustments
*Please note: There are no premiums, deductibles, or copays for covered services. There is no maximum benefit amount each year.
Services Not Covered Under Benefit:
- Experimental procedures
- Cosmetic procedures
- Dentures for adults 21+
How to Find a Dentist:
To find a dentist who sees patients in the Maryland Healthy Smiles Dental Program, you can:
- Call your assigned dentist, which is listed on your Medicaid Member ID card.
- Use the Dentist Search Box below.
- Call Customer Service: 1-855-934-9812.
- Call TDD (for hearing impaired): Relay 711
- Email: email@example.com
- Web Portal: member.mdhealthysmiles.com
- Additional resource: Maryland Oral Health Resource Guide; by county (2022)
To find transportation assistance to accessing dental care, please refer to this guide from the Maryland Healthy Smiles Dental Program: Local Transportation Contacts
MDAC Medicaid Informational Flyers
Download the one page digital flyers (English/Spanish) to share information about the expanded Maryland Medicaid dental coverage. (Click to download)